Thursday, May 21, 2015

Once a New Yorker, Always a New Yorker

I remember the day I got my tattoo the artist chuckled when I told him I wanted a tattoo of New York State. "You've got that much pride, huh?" he asked oblivious to the pride that comes with being from the Empire State. I've been a resident of the state of New Hampshire for over a year now but my car still proudly displays New York State licence plates and I still define myself as a New Yorker. Unlike Elsa, I just can't let it go.

As a college student, I've met people from many states - mostly Massachusetts, Vermont, Connecticut, and Maine - but no one seems to have the bursting pride that fellow New Yorkers have. Sure, people from Massachusetts say they love their state (although I don't know why) but not to the degree that New Yorkers do. When I drive home I happily blast "Welcome to New York" or "Empire State of Mind" as I cross the NY border and I'm overcome with a sense of pride accompanied by the chills. The "Welcome to New York" sign  will always read "Welcome Home" to me.

Don't get me wrong, I love New Hampshire but there are days where I'm actually pretty bitter towards my new home. I get annoyed that construction on one stretch of the road takes years (is that bridge ever going to get done?!), angered when I see redneck trucks driving down the road blasting bro country, and enraged when everyone and anyone hates on the Yankees. Mostly, I feel like the odd one out. Growing up in New York gives you a different mentality. You learn to walk fast, be independent, and mind your own business. No one thinks twice about having these qualities in New York but in New Hampshire if you have these qualities you are seen as "stuck up" and "better than everyone else."

There are days where for a moment, I wonder why I left New York. It's hard living in a place where no one understands where you came from. But as quick as those self-doubting thoughts come they are replaced by reassuring ones - ones that remind me how living in New Hampshire was my dream. I have really established a place for myself here and I really do feel like I'm making a name for myself. New Hampshire is my new home and while I am still getting used to the ways of this new world, I don't think I'll ever let the New Yorker part of my identity go. Once a New Yorker, always a New Yorker.

No comments:

Post a Comment